Monday, June 14, 2004

Detailed Dates

Results for How often do you use a detailed date in 008?
  • 42% - Whenever the information is available (13 votes)
  • 10% - Only in certain cases (3 votes)
  • 16% - Never (5 votes)
  • 32% - What is an 008 (10 votes)
I was surprised that the majority use them some or all the time. I don't often bump into them in records.

The poll had a comment about creating full rich records the first time. In theory I agree. However, there are circumstances when less then full records are all that is required. For example, here at the Lunar and Planetary Institute I give full cataloging to most Q and T materials. I don't spend much time on the computer manuals like PowerPoint for Dummies. It is not important to our collections and will likely be weeded when the next presentation software is bought. Items like that I generally accept without any checking or enrichment. Just a matter priorities and very real time constraints.

No comments: