Monday, June 21, 2004

Library Service

Often I hear the mantra that libraries should be more like businesses. While it is true that we can learn things from the public sector, they have much to learn from us. I wish my local Blockbuster worked as well as my local library. I wanted a DVD that was out. At the library I'd just place it on hold. I could have checked the status from home and have placed the hold from there. I had to go to the store to find it was out and then discover they have no method of placing me on a waiting list for the item. It is simply up to luck. I asked about another video and found it was only available for sale, not rent. There was no alternative. My local library can get any item via ILL. Blockbuster should be looking at how libraries operate for some ideas.

No comments: