Wednesday, November 03, 2004


Recently I cataloged some scale models, something I've not often done. I thought the scale was important so I placed it in a 500 field. Today, while looking for something else, I happened to notice there is a specific field, 507, for scale. I've now fixed the records.

How often does this happen? How much information is in field 500 that belongs in a field dedicated to that information? I haven't noticed it much, except in very bad records where all notes are in 500. Still this gets me wondering. The calls for granularity (see Roy Tennant) require placing certain types of information in a particular field. However, the existence of such fields is moot if they are not used. How does a lone cataloger even know to look for the existence of a field?

No comments: