Friday, December 30, 2005

Linking to Amazon or Open WorldCat

A while back I received a nice note from a person at OCLC mentioning that I could link to Open WorldCat rather than Amazon when mentioning a book. The truth is I get about $20.00 to $40.00 a year in Amazon credits by linking to them. It has been a nice surprise when I get a note from them saying I have so much credit with them. Yet I feel I should help spread the use of Open WorldCat.

So, I'm going to take a survey and I'll go by that and any comments I receive.

2 comments:

Christina said...

I actually feel pretty strongly that you should link to Open WorldCat. Amazon doesn't need you and your links won't make a real difference there. Open WorldCat needs every librarian and many non-librarians to start linking -- at least until there's critical mass. This is a big way we can encourage people to start thinking of libraries as places to go when they need books. Unfortunately, we're still at that point in 2005. Is the $20-40 that important? -- this is just my humble opinion

Doug M said...

Would time, talent, and resources be wasted if you could do both?
Are is thatyou can't serve two masters?