Tuesday, February 28, 2006

OPML

I like OPML (Outline Processor Markup Language). Today I was checking out OPMLworkstation.com and it occurred to me we could make MARC so much richer if we could include OPML files inside a MARC record. Field 505, contents, for example. Often a book will have topical sections with chapters and subchapters. There is no clean, easy way to mark-up this in MARC. Its a snap in OPML. Or how about links to an e-book and then to each chapter of that book. We could have a string of 856 fields or an OPML file in one field that our users could expand as necessary. Just some initial thoughts.

BTW I created an OPML file for the RSS feeds from the LPI. OPMLworkstation is a site to create, host and share OPML files. It allows you to import, create or transform PowerPoint into OPML format. Nice.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad OPMLWorkstation worked well. I'd be interested if you have suggestions for improving the site and making it useful to you/Librarians.