Monday, December 04, 2006

Screencasting for Our Users

I've been listening to Paul Pival's presentation for the Sirsi/Dynix Institute, Show and Tell The Easy Way - An Introduction to Screencasting. Excellent introduction.

It got me thinking we should have more of these in the context-sensitive help for our OPACs. Having them in their own space and as part of BI is nice, but having them at point of need is best. They are simple to do, it would be a snap for an institution to do one a month. Over time the most important or confusing topics would be covered. Even nicer would be for a vendor in include them in their product.

CamStudio is a free tool to create screencasts, something to get started. I used it to create a couple that I posted to YouTube, resolution suffers there but it gives an idea.

1 comment:

Dave Pattern said...

That's a really good idea -- I've just done my first screencast (for a student who was having problems accessing ejournals from off-campus) and it was so easy!

screencast1.html