The handout for my poster presentation at the Texas Music Educators Association annual conference is now online. I'm showing the value of the American Memory Project in their classroom.Also, the abstract of my presentation at the Lunar and Planetary Science Conference is up. I'll be letting them know about the NACO and SACO projects and that they should talk with their librarians to get subject headings, cross references, classification numbers and name headings correct and more useful to their work.I'm excited about getting out of the library circle and spreading the message to other communities.
Friday, February 10, 2006
A new identifier for e-resources is the Electronic Standard Book Number ESBN. Not sure if they are related to any standards body or just someone who thinks it is a good idea. I think it is closer to the latter. So it might not last. Still they are free and free things have a chance of becoming a de facto standard. I've put one on Catalogablog.
at 2:06 PM
Wednesday, February 08, 2006
LibLime has just launched a newsletter. The newsletter will feature updates on Koha ILS, Evergreen ILS, and other open-source projects; sneak peeks at new product releases; tips for making open-source software work in libraries, etc. Folks can sign up for the newsletter online. The first issue has yet to appear, but the topics sound interesting.
Tuesday, February 07, 2006
Bruce D'Arcus has begun work on a Citation Oriented Bibliographic Vocabulary.
A vocabulary to describe a general data model for scholarly citations. It covers three primary classes: events, agents, and bibliographic reference types. It is designed to offer a solid general relational model for citation metadata, and also to provide a specific superset of reference types in standard formats like BibTeX, RIS, and Refer/Endnote.Seen on The FRBR Blog
at 10:07 AM
"My Highly Opinionated Note About ISSN" by Judy C. Holoviak of the American Geophysical Union discusses the problem with the current rules for title change and the resulting change in ISSN and OpenURL problems. It appears in the latest issue of the Geoscience Information Society Newsletter.
You may ask, "Why did our ISSN center feel compelled to change the number that had originally been assigned by them to JGR?" I certainly did. The answer was tied to the fact that AGU changed the cover design when the trim size of AGU journals was increased from roughly 6 x 10 to today's size in order to cut costs. With the additional real estate we decided to add what we thought - and still think - was a design element: the big block letters J G R. We did not change the title of the journal. (We had been sensitized by our colleagues in the library community about the problems created by title changes.) The LoC told us otherwise. Because the design element contains letters and was the largest thing on the cover, they, not AGU, changed the name of the Journal of Geophysical Research to JGR Journal of Geophysical Research and a change in the 'key title' triggered a change in the ISSN.Not yet available on the Web site.
at 9:43 AM
Monday, February 06, 2006
Reclassification of Electronic Product Catalogs: The "Apricot" Approach and Its Evaluation Results by Sven Abels and Axel Hahn appears in the latest Informing Science Journal.
Electronic Product Catalogs (EPCs) are becoming more and more important as businesses interact electronically with one another and with customers. EPCs are the databases in which businesses store information about their products. EPCs allow customers to locate items they wish to purchase and business partners to access a business's offerings. Typically each business's EPC is organized to meet the requirements of one of many competing standards. Problems arise when various business partners use different standards to organize their EPC. Translating a product catalog from one standard to another manually is no easy task, even for a single item, and the typical EPC contains thousands of items. This situation is known as the reclassification problem. The paper describes the problem in greater details and also proposes a solution, which we dub "the Apricot approach".Deals with product catalogs, but the technique might be wider interrest.