Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Twitter

What is happening with Twitter? A week ago almost 400 people were following LPI_Library and I was following about 1/2 of that. Now both those numbers are less than 1/2 of what they were a week ago. It seems folk are leaving in droves. If it were just my followers going down I might reevaluate how I was posting but the people I follow has also been dropping so I can only assume either 1) Twitter has lost people's accounts or 2) people are leaving Twitter for other services.

I have created an account on FriendFeed. I'm capturing my Facebook, LPI_Library tweets, and postings here. Maybe this is where all the cool kids are hanging? Maybe Pownce or Jaiku or ?

This does raise a problem. Just what is our attention span with new tech tools? Twitter is not yet old enough to have been mentioned in any books and already it is passe. How can anyone keep up with this? How far ahead of the curve are we going to be? If all our users are a year or two behind us, are we serving them by continuing to move on?

6 comments:

Nicole Engard said...

I don't think it's an issue with us getting bored - it's an issue with Twitter's reliability. If I can't send and receive messages the way I want then the tool isn't worth my time.

Wintersweet said...

I think the drop may actually be a weird glitch of some kind. Stay tuned.

Fran said...

I don't know much about Twitter, but I think your last paragraph brings up an issue that is going to be very important for libraries (and other organizations) soon, if it isn't already. A lot of people are talking about "Web 2.0" and "Catalog 2.0" and all of the great things that we can do for our patrons. There are lots of different services and applications and options, but unless your organization has people who are really on the cutting edge, by the time you hear about it and learn how to use it and how to integrate it into what you already have, most people are moving on to the next Big Thing.

Is it enough to provide slightly behind-the-times services if they're better than what we were doing before? How do we decide which ones to jump on and which to let slide when we have limited resources?

Holly said...

This might help explain:
http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/new_twitter_anti-spam_bot_causes_chaos.php

redpetre said...

I'm capturing my Facebook, LPI_Library tweets, and postings here

Elocina said...

Personally, I spend a lot more time on identi.ca than I do on Twitter. Identi.ca is an open source microblogging site. I find it easier to find and be found by people with similar interests on identi.ca as opposed to Twitter. It seems like most of the people who decide to follow me are spammers who I then have to block.