Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Mapping MARC records

Recently I won a contest, a copy of Library Mashups: Exploring New Ways to Deliver Library Data by Nicole Engard was the prize. The entry was to suggest a library mashup.

I suggested mashing the MARC record with Google maps to show area of cartographic items. Nothing Earth shattering. I knew that someone had mapped Craig's List and there was another for buying a home. I expected that such a project would have been in Nicole's book. I was pleasantly happy when I won.

That's when I found out about a project, MapHappy that was just what I had in mind. Johnston, L., and K. Jensen. 2009. "MapHappy: A User-Centered Interface to Library Map Collections via a Google Maps “Mashup”. JOURNAL OF MAP AND GEOGRAPHY LIBRARIES. 5 (2): 114-130. They have a demo running and would like feedback. Brilliant.

If/when it goes open-source I'd like to use it for our lunar and Mars maps.

1 comment:

Suzie said...

Congratulations on the contest win! Was this just an idea or do you have the mashup mashed? The other maps you spoke of, are they accessible?