Friday, January 14, 2011

eReaders

I saw an ad for the Kobo reader from Boarders for just under $100.00 today. That is the kind of price point that would make them something even more people will consider. They still are not as friendly as a TV. There are problems with DRM, conflicting file formats, moving between devices and computer interfaces. I don't envy the public librarians who have had to tell the folks who got a Kindle for the holiday that it doesn't work at the library. I still enjoy mine, I can download all the Kipling, Haggard, Verne and Wilkie Collins I desire from Project Gutenberg and the Adelaide University Electronic Texts Collection. Without the backlighting it is much easier on the eyes.

One thing e-readers still lack is color. Did anyone see color e-readers at Midwinter or CES? Without color textbooks, comics, and magazines lose too much to work on the devices. Some books and journal articles also demand color (art books and geologic maps for instance)

1 comment:

JacquieSamples said...

I had my nookcolor at MidWinter. It works nicely for the color serial publications that I've used it for.

I haven't had it very long, so haven't yet tried it with maps or art books. The children's book that came on the nookcolor looks very nice, though.

I used it at MidWinter to browse the internet, read email, and look up places to visit in San Diego. Plus read some pdfs and such for meetings.